Sunday, January 15, 2012

Mind Your Own Workout

Betty runs 15 thousand miles a day
Sue climbed Mount Everest
Ann pays $$$ to do crossfit
Gigi does Pure Barre
Jane does bootcamp twice a day
And, Amy can hold a plank in pilates the entire hour!

Doesn't it seem like everyone else is doing it better, faster, longer? I will pass someone running and think "I should be doing that right this second like she is." Or, I will hear of a friend doing a crossfit workout and think "I bet that is a better workout than I did." Poor me. Cry me a river.

If you are competitive like me, you will understand these feelings. And, if you are into fitness and working out you know that there is so much out there to choose from to be active.

So why are we always comparing?

In my non-professional opinion, a lot of us are striving for something that is unattainable - perfection. We might feel left out of the newest fitness craze and feel defeated that our workout doesn't add up to what society views as "the best."

There have been times in my life where I was working out so much and trying to fit in so many different things that my husband said, "I want tickets to whatever it is you are training for."

For all the mothers out there, I want to encourage you to do the absolute best you can when it comes to fitness. Make time to do the right workout that fits your budget and schedule. As a mom, we are in the business of being healthy not becoming Mrs. Fitness America.

So, the next time you feel defeated when you see your neighbor completing her 13-mile run, change your thought to, I am glad God gave her that ability. And, pray, God give me the strength and stamina to reach my own goals whether it be running a mile, walking with the stroller around the neighborhood, hiking a certain mountain or just getting through an aerobics class.

Do you know that the Bible even plainly says "mind your own business" in 1 Thessalonians 4?

10 And in fact, you do love all of God’s family throughout Macedonia. Yet we urge you, brothers and sisters, to do so more and more, 11 and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, 12 so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

Stop comparing and start moving. No excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment