Sunday, January 22, 2012

Make a Lot; Share the Love

Just call me Meals on Wheels.

A name my husband gave me years ago when I kept baking, cooking, grilling and making food for everyone all the time.  New baby,  new neighbor, sickness, death in the family, or just because.

I love to work out. I love to cook.  And, best of all, I love to eat!  I am a hungry girl.  I want hearty, healthy meals for my family and to share with others.

Here's one of my favorite hearty, healthy soups from Cooking Light.  It is simmering on my stove right now.  The recipe will make enough for my family, another family that had a baby, my parents and one for my sweet friend Emily just because.

Chunky-Chicken Noodle Soup
2 t olive oil
1 C chopped onion (I used green onions....aren't they SO much easier???)
1 C diced carrots
1 C sliced celery
1 garlic clove (I cheated and used the minced garlic from a jar!)
3 T flour
1/2 t oregano
1/4 t dried thyme
1/4 t dried poultry seasoning (didn't have this one, didn't make a difference to me!)
3 cans fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
2 1/2 cups diced, peeled baking potato
1/2 t salt
2 cups diced roasted chicken (love to crock pot the chicken!)
1 12-ounce can fat free evaporated milk
2 cups wide egg noodles (I used whole-wheat shells)
**Note....I added a little more milk in the end
1.  Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat.  Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic.  Saute' 5 minutes or until tender.  Sprinkle flour, oregano, dried thyme and poultry seasoning over veggies; cook 1 minute.
2.  Stir in broth, potato and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 25 minutes. Add chicken, milk and noodles, and cook 10 minutes or until noodles are tender.  Yield: 8 servings......more if you ask me!

CALORIES: 240. FAT: 4.5g SODIUM: 667mg  Serving size: 1 cup.

Now, make this, enjoy it and share it with someone else.  You will brighten their day with your act of kindness.  And maybe, it will be the only kind act they see all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment