Monday, February 6, 2012

Back to College

I wonder if anyone would mistake me for a college student?


I kept thinking this in my head this past weekend while Colter and I were in Auburn.  We headed down to the plains for a baseball reunion and dinner.  Colter was on the 1997 World Series Team, and they were the guests of honor at this year's annual banquet.


I dropped Colter off for a team lunch and tour of all of Auburn's amazing new facilities, and I went running on my old route around campus.


And, it started.


As I put on my running gear and look in the mirror, I kept thinking, I wonder if I still look like a college student. Surely I will just blend right in. I put on my hat, turned up Katy Perry and headed down College Street.


As I run past the Sigma Chi house I get a glance....from a college kid!  Whooohooo!  Still got it! I blend! Confidence boost!  Little do they know that if they got really close they might see the slight beginning of creases around my eyes! 


As I continue on my run, my mind goes back in time to my college days.  I thought about my accomplishments, my challenges, my friendships and my boyfriend...who is now my husband. 


Would I really want to go back?  Do I really want to be my 20-year-old self?  


I think we all ponder "what if" or "those were the days."  But, here we are!  Now!  Today!  In this moment!  In this body!  At this age! 


My 20-year-old self had a flatter stomach. My 34-year-old me has two precious, healthy children that made my stomach a little softer! 
My 20-year-old me thought I was SO busy.  My 34-year-old me IS so busy. 
My 20-year-old me was overly emotional. My 34-year-old me is strong.
My 20-year-old me was fearless.  My 34-year-old me is cautious. 
My 20-year-old me thought mostly about me.  My 34-year-old me thinks of others. 
My 20 year-old me believed in God. My 34-year-old me has a relationship with God. 


Instead of wishing to be the 20-year-old you, look back and see how much you have grown and changed.  See what God has done in your life.  And, if you don't like what you see.  Change it!  


 "There is a time for everything, 
   and a season for every activity under the heavens:"



We are right where we need to be.  Believe it and claim it.  And, trust me, sometimes it is hard.  Especially, when the diamond doll sitting at my table "mams" me.  Just when I thought I hadn't really changed much from my 20-year-old self!  

1 comment: